Sunday, September 2, 2012

Princesses look good in any color...

And THIS princess was rocking EVERY color of the rainbow!

I'm so proud to announce that I kicked off my birthday week and ran my very first 5k ever yesterday! What made it more awesome was that it was the Color Run! I haven't had so much fun like that in such a long time! It's running - not my strongest suit, nor my favorite thing to do. But this is a totally different experience, and one of the best I've ever encountered in my life.

This time last year, if you were to ask me to participate in a 5k run, I honestly probably would've rolled my eyes, snickered at you, and would've said "yeah, okay. let me get right on that". I never thought in my life that I would be a runner. I never thought I would get to that point in my life, that I would be able to say .. yep.. I did it. I ran my first ever 5k. And now, a year later, I can't wipe the smile off of my face from participating yesterday.

It was BEYOND amazing. The feelings that I had yesterday, and even today, are undescribable. I was nervous yesterday morning. I had emotions going every which way. I was happy, excited, and pumped. But I was also anxious, nervous, and doubtful. That was before I got to the start line. Once we started, I felt a sensation of energy and motivation.. all I could think was - you got this. You worked your butt off for the past year getting where you are today.. do it, have fun, get colored! And off I went.. RUNNING. It was an amazing feeling. I can't tell you the last time I ran outside.. for FUN. I can't wait to train outside more. It's a completely different perspective than running on the "dreadmill". I wasn't staring at ESPN, or a white wall. I was watching people as I passed them, and some as they passed me. I was moving. And nothing was getting in my way.

I did walk most of the 5k, because some of the track was just gravel, and as much as I wanted to run, I also wanted to finish.. without injury. If you know me, you know I hurt myself just standing up lol. (its true.. I've sprained my ankle getting up off the ground the wrong way from sitting indian style). So I walked. But I made it a point to jog/run to the beginning of every color zone, regardless of the terrain. So I did. And everytime I got blasted with a color, it was like a reward for running to my focal point. I loved it.

And I will say, I didn't run alone. I had my friend, Meaghan, with me, cheering me on and supporting me throughout the entire 5k. She ran when I wanted to run, and she walked when I wanted to walk. She kept track of every mile and let me know how much further I had to go. We even jumped the guardrail and decided to revisit the orange color zone for a minute or two lol.

When we got towards the finish line, I told Meaghan that I wanted to run through. I was ready to finally say I completed my first 5k. She said, "okay, let's do it", and I started running. She kept yelling "I'm chasing you.. keep going!" ..and I felt myself run faster. I reached the finish line, ran through it, turned around and hugged her. The feeling of accomplishment was so unbelievable. At that moment, I wanted to do it all over again. I couldn't believe that right then and there, one of my dreams had come true. Right then and there.. at that moment, I became a runner.

I've taken 2 showers since yesterday afternoon, and I still have color stained on my skin. And I don't mind it at all. I still can't wipe the smile off of my face when I think about yesterday. It was such an awesome experience, and they're right - it's definitely the happiest 5k on Earth! I can't wait to participate in next year's Color Run in Philly.. just a little closer to home lol.

I do want to thank Meaghan again for going with me, and for supporting me every single, literal, step of the way. I couldn't have done it without her. She is an awesome person, and I'm so happy I got to share my very first 5k with her! :)

Okay, well I'm off to get ready for Day 2 of my birthday week. I hope all of my fellow Princesses continue to have a great holiday weekend!

Until next time! :)

oxoxoxoxoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment